Wednesday, April 25, 2012

His Proposal


Pulling off surprises is something Adrin is not good at. I discovering his attempts on surprising me can be charged to various things – ranging from my nosiness, to his overwhelming excitement to tell me about it prematurely, or just a random minor accident. Who would have thought that wearing our IDs before getting into our office building will spill the beans for him?!  

As he may have already shared, I had the idea about the whole proposal thing on December 2011 when my ring, which he sneaked out, accidentally got caught in his ID’s lace and dropped on the floor right in front of me. That served as THE surprise. I completely had no idea that my friendship ring was with him. I thought it was just lying around somewhere at home. He must’ve seen how stunned I was after picking up that little thing which rolled to my foot. As soon as I recognized it, there’s no denying that I instantaneously supposed he’s on the move. =P Why in the world would he have that ring? What for? The shock was followed by fits of laughter because the look on his face confirmed my thoughts. He looked as astounded as I was and he was at a loss for words. He just resulted to laughter as well while saying “Bwiset, bwiset talaga!” Haha. I kept teasing him for the rest of that day and kept telling him that he has yet to plan for a successful surprise, one that I will not have any inkling of. =D

I did not exactly made the following days and weeks easy for him. Even when he flew for a two-week business trip, I would tease him about it. I’d take every chance there was, to bug and convince him to just tell me the whole story. But no explanation or prying from me made him completely let go of the surprise thing. I believe he still supposes that everything is not lost just yet.

With two upcoming occasions, our 3rd anniversary in January and Valentine’s Day on February, I knew that the proposal didn’t have to wait any longer (Yes, I was that presumptuous. Haha). We decided for a day trip to Tagaytay-Nasugbu area for our anniversary. I made the reservations, with his approval of course (since he was out of the country), and planned how our day will go. The day came and I felt excited and anxious at the same time. It ought to be a totally relaxing day for us but at the back of my head I’m also nervous should he actually do his whole thing. We headed out, enjoyed really good food and had a relaxing massage. As our day was coming to a close, and without any sign of THE event, I thought to myself that maybe today is not the day and it will come some other time.

When we got home, we’re both amazed to learn that my whole family brewed a little surprise. I hurried him out of the car to check what’s in store for us as we opened our front door. We saw our pictures and balloons all over while everyone happily greeted us to share a toast to the occasion. A little chit chats here and there, and then we decided to get all the goodies we left in the car. My cousins and I were outside, waiting for Adrin to come and open the car, before we heard someone scream from the house. Curiously I walked in and peeped by the window to see what’s happening. There I saw Adrin talking to my mom and my aunts, and heard my aunt say “Si Ate Baby ang makakasagot niyan”. Realizing what I saw, I immediately stepped back and went outside again while my cousins excitedly joined everyone else inside.

I was there standing all alone by his car with my throbbing chest, and in my head I can only hear “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is it! This is it!” After a few very long minutes, they finally went out again. My cousins have this certain smile plastered on their faces, Adrin was half-serious and half-smiling, while me trying to put on my poker face. Haha. We took all the goodies inside the house, had a few pictures taken, and settled down. One by one my family disappeared until it was just us two left in the living room. We recalled how our day went and he soon followed it with his lines while motioning to go down on one knee. Tears instantly streamed down my face, but I still took the chance to tease him a bit and gave a few laughs. Before he got to actually pop the question, we were surrounded by everyone again. He asked me, and with a few nods and a sheepish voice, I said YES. Adrin got to execute his whole idea afterall. =D

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment